For the last 17 years, On the first Saturday in October, a short stroll away from the Place Saint-Lambert, at the heart of the oldest quarters of the city, Liège by night, on the slopes… For one enchanting evening Liège reveals itself as you have never seen it before. During the Nocturne, backstreets, courtyards, steps, terraces, pathways, fields and orchards are accessible for all to see. Subtle lighting, music, entertainment and an atmosphere of celebration await at every turn.
Programme in the evening…
- From 8pm to 11pm: walks, displays of light, music, free access to the entire site.
- 11.30pm: fireworks display in Parc Saint-Léonard
With their 60 monuments, 5 listed sites, and 28 ha of well preserved green spaces, the Coteaux de la Citadelle, the slopes of the citadel, are a unique reminder of the ancient landscape of Liège. On a mild October evening, a unique opportunity to wander and discover these little known walks softly lit up by over 15,000 candles and other lights. Musical and theatrical events take place throughout the evening, and many places open their doors to the rest of the world.
Every year an increasing number of heritage lovers, curious visitors, and people looking for that very special atmosphere, discover the Nocturne’s magic. Whether a loyal nocturne visitor or newly attracted to the concept, this is a chance for everyone to enter a place of magic and surprises, a backstage to the city of Liège. Through the backstreets and the hanging gardens, come and hear Liège’s heart beat.
For walkers, there are five walks along the Coteaux:
- Les Terrasses des Minimes et des Chevaliers Teutoniques (The Minimes Terraces and the Teutonic Knights): stone steps, forest paths, grassy terraces – 45 min. Start: Rue du Palais, 58.
- Volière – Favechamps: paved streets and paths – 45 min. Start: Ferme de la Vache: Rue Pierreuse, 113 or Rue Volière, next to the Chapelle Saint-Roch.
- Les boulevards de la Citadelle (the boulevards of the Citadel): road or paved streets, paved path through the Bois des Carmélites. Varied route – 1h30. Start: Escaliers du Pérî (Pêri Steps) or Bois des Carmélites.
- Le Sentier des Moutons (the Sheeps’ Path): now opened to the public. One-way. Adventure route, along a narrow ascending path of 0,5 km. Requires a good pair of walking shoes. A torch is also recommended – 1h. Start: Collège Saint-Barthélemy, in Hors-Château, 31.
- Les Coteaux hors les murs (the Slopes outside the walls): New paths through woods on the Vivegnis slopes – roughly 1h. Start: Top of the Bois des Carmélites or Rue du Baneux.
The Nocturne des Coteaux de la Citadelle, it’s worth the trip !
Looking for an apartment in Liege?
Are you looking for an accomodation in Liege so as to take part in this fabulous event and to discover Liège differently? Have a look to our list of furnished apartments in Liege. You will find below ZE AGENCY apartments which are located in Liege:
Leave a Reply